After receiving many requests I have finally put together a post with some of the details from my camper conversion build. Thank you, everyone, for your interest! Here are a few specs regarding the dimensions of the build, the curtains that I added as well as the electronics. As usual please feel free to comment with your questions and I will do my best to get back to you!

Dimensions

Below I have placed a quick sketch of the dimensions. Keep in mind that when building this I had to build a piece then modify it to fit a number of times, especially the curved areas around the paneling.

Curtains

My first version of curtains was simply just a bunch of cut up sun visors that I would attach to the windows with little velcro dots. This was frustrating so often I would just neglect to do it because it took time then eventually the dots wore off. Version 2.0 took a modest amount more time to build and is working great!

I acquired blackout curtain material at my local fabric store. This was a little pricey but I managed to get it on a 50% off sale. Expect $20-40/m. I cut the material a couple inches larger than I needed, then simply hemmed the edges to keep it tidy. Here is a quick little schematic of them, keep in mind these are the final dimensions and do not include your seam allowances.

Because I don’t like to modify the Pilot more than I have to I use paper clips to hold them up. The paper clips stay in place when I am not using them and make putting them up a breeze.

I start by clipping in the bottom of the curtain as shown here.

Simply use the larger paper clips and attach to the plastic walls of the car.

Then flip it up and clip in the tops.

For the front of the car between the drivers’ seats and the rear I again sewed a large curtain to cover the opening and use an old fashion spring loaded curtain rod to keep it in place. When I am not using it, it just drops to the floor between the seats and the box.

Spring loaded curtain rod in place. Simply slide in and out of position.

The end of the curtain rod sits nicely above the plastic paneling.

Finally, the rear curtain covers most of the opening but certainly isn’t perfect. I used paper clips suspended by elastics attached to the various tie points on the car.

Rear Curtain in place. It’s not perfect but definitely, does the trick!

Long elastics with paper clip for attaching curtain in back window.

Electronics

As many of you know I opted to charge a secondary battery from the car instead of using solar. Two main reasons behind this. First, solar is expensive and finicky to operate. Second, I am always driving, therefore, the battery would always be charged. If I was staying in one place longer I might consider solar. Essentially all you need is a battery, a battery isolator, and some outlets. A change I made was adding an additional fuse box instead of the inline fuses that came with the wires attached to the outlets. This makes them more accessible and the replacement fuses are easier to come across.

Back up power setup for car camping.

Inside view of the box behind the passenger’s seat. The battery in the black box, outlets protected by a wooden shield, and a fuse box that was added as the inline ones it came with were troublesome.

Wiring external battery for car

Wiring on the battery.

If there are other components you are interested in seeing let me know! In the mean time I am actually working on building a truck camper with my partner Gerald so stay tuned for news on that!